Wednesday 26 October 2011

Sega Mega Drive: Mary Shelley's Frankenstein

Year: 1994
Genre: Platform
Players: 1
Our Rating: 6/10

Mini Review

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein for the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis is really more of a Jekyll and Hyde of a game. Parts of the game are executed so well I wondered if I really was playing a 16-bit game, at other times I thought I was back on the Atari 2600 when it came to frustratingly difficult game mechanics. As you might have guessed Mary Shelley's Frankenstein is based on the classic novel. As a classic horror reader and movie viewer I was in a good mood to play this one. The opening credits are fantastic; you get a condensed storyline animation which is enough to set the story up. The music and animation here are enough to make you think that Halloween has come early.

Then the game begins. You are armed with a stick and basic lightning. The character looks great. He’s not the Boris Karloff style Frankenstein’s monster but more of a suffering mass of rotting skin and much more faithful to the novel. The character even moves with a limp. It soon becomes apparent that you must escape the villagers armed with the customary pitch-forks, as is the style of monster chasing. The animation is fluid and exciting as you run to escape the village. There’s some nice touches such as being able to light the stich to use it as a torch. My criticism comes from the level design. Although it looks great I just can’t help getting lost and retracing my steps. This is possibly entirely my own fault but it does get frustrating to see the same villager over and over again. Overall this is a game to check out. It appeals to the horror loving retro gamer that can look past some of the more frustrating battles in the game.





No comments:

Post a Comment