Wednesday 26 October 2011

Sega Mega Drive: Shadow of the Beast

Year: 1989
Genre: Platform
Players: 1
Our Rating: 7/10


Mini Review

Shadow of the Beast is a well known and well loved classic. We have to go all the way back to 1990 for the release of the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis version (Amiga version 1989). I'm under the impression that Psygnosis set out to make a classic with this game. I'm lucky enough to own boxed originals of the series on several platforms. The Amiga 500 box art and presentation is spectacular compared to the other releases (if I ever get time I will scan). The game itself is most commonly described as a platform game although I like to think of it as a piece of art as well. The feel of the game is very much like you are playing on a canvas that artists must have spent months on. Every scene and sprite have been lovingly created to make a really well envisaged fantasy world. The music too adds to the fantasy vibe. Although the Sega Mega Drive wasn't the best sounding machine of the 90's it does do a fair job in recreating the midi pipe sound of other platforms.

The plot of the game is almost marginalised right from the off in the game. The premise is that the Beast was once a man that was turned in to a Beast, why? I have no idea. Having remembered his once human form he goes on a revenge mission to kill Lord Maletoth. As a game it has to be said that the visuals and audio are a cut above most games of the time and certainly gains high marks for effort. My main complaint with the game is the difficultly. There are enemies where you will need pixel perfect precision and timing to kill them. I was only 8 when I first played Shadow of the Beast, I picked it up many times and was always dissapointed that I was dead within 5 minutes. Out comes Shadow of the Beast and in goes International Karate + or Golden Axe. Now edging ever closer to 30 I find that Shadow of the Beast is a real treat to re-visit. If you have a real love of game making and remembering a time when games really were hand crafted this is an unbeatable nostalgia treat for you.







No comments:

Post a Comment